Wind River Cellars

Wind River Cellars

Friday, July 28, 2006

 
If any of you are sitting in your cubical at work, thinking about quitting your job working for "The Man" and becoming a farmer, don't do it. It's very hard work. Our vineyard has never been in such good shape but it hasn't been easy. I'm looking forward to seeing it harvested.

This week has been one of the busiest on record. I know I say that a lot but this time I really mean it. Aside from spraying the vineyard, bottling and office work, I've spent everyday in the tasting room. Tuesday at 5:55 p.m., right before closing time, I was pouring myself a nice citrus cocktail when Kris and I noticed a car pull up. I started to cry and Kris told me that she would come out with me and make it fun, which she always does. We walked into the tasting room and this really mean, snooty couple from San Diego were waiting to taste wine. I began pouring and with every sampled I poured, I hated them more and more. Two hours later the four of us were still in the tasting room sampling wine. They were horrible people so Kris and I invited them for dinner. These people had the nerve to say yes so we had a fish taco feast. Russ and Jenny were so rude that we opened a bottle of Syncline Viognier and one of our own older reserve wines. Finally, after several bottles we were able to get rid of them. Here's the kicker. They invited us down to their house for a weekend of surfing and hanging out with them and their kids. I hate people like that.

Last night James and Lynnette tied the knot here at the winery. Tons of wonderful people from Iowa, Portland and Seattle were here to witness it. This morning when I saw them James was holding Lynnette's purse while she used the lady's room. I asked him if he wanted to go have a beer and he said he couldn't because his wife was dragging him to look at throw rugs at Bed Bath & Beyond. To all of you that were here, stay in touch. You were all exactly what I expected to be associated with such a nice couple.

Today I've already had some fun people from Indiana, Florida, Colorado and B.C. They were all a lot more fun than Russ and Jenny from San Diego.

I have to go farm now, and dream about quitting the wine business and working in a cubical for "The Man", at least long enough to swipe some office supplies.

You are the wind beneath my wings, Husum!

Joel

Archives

April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   March 2007   April 2007   May 2007   June 2007   July 2007   August 2007   September 2007   October 2007   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   March 2009   April 2009   May 2009   June 2009   August 2009   October 2009  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Contact Us  |  Site Map

  Site by Locus