Wind River Cellars

Wind River Cellars

Thursday, September 14, 2006

 
If I die tomorrow, it can be said that I crushed grapes in 2006. Today I brought in the first grapes of, what I think will be, a very good vintage. Horseheaven, at the East side of this amazing county, is where we get Merlot, Cab sauv, Cab Franc, Sirah, and on some years, Chenin Blanc. This was the first time in three years that I didn't have Poison Rose in the passenger seat. Instead, I had Gavin, our trusty intern. Though Gavin is a great guy, and old enough to drink and old enough to drive, (not at the same time) it wasn't the same without "PR".

The Merlot we harvested was a perfect 26 brix with very balanced ph and acid. Gavin and I showed up around 7:30 a.m., dropped off our containers and headed over to Alexandria Nicole Winery where brother Jarrod was pretending to work. Jarrod is right up there with Luke from Cor Cellars, James from Syncline, Ron from Marshal's, Joe from El Mirrador, Greg from Rex Hill, Bob from Cascade Cliffs and Don from Townshend Cellars. HE ROCKS!

Jarrod dropped what he was pretending to do and took us for a little barrel tasting in the Alexandria Nicole Cellar. Gavin and I only had about an hour before our Merlot was picked but Jarrod was able to reconfirm that HorseHeaven is something very special in the world of grape growing. If you get a chance, buy a bottle of A.N.

After leaving Alex Nic, which was like jumping off of the Titanic, (You know that it's time to leave, yet it just seems like a better idea to stay.) we headed just a few miles back to Andrew's Horse Heaven Vineyard. This property has been in this family for many generations and it makes me wonder where in the Hell my great grandparents were when land like this was free. My jaw is sore from dragging on the ground, looking at this beautiful property. This family has a morning commute like many of you. Just a few miles of driving down the road and your at work. The difference is that the Andrews family doesn't leave their property.

Check out our website for details on our picking party. I could tell you but I'm really not sure of the details myself.

Peoria, Ill. representatives challenged the Okalahoma people for the "Nicest" award in the tasting room. C'mon Oklahoma, I know you can do it!

If you would like to come out and experience the magic, email me. Grapes are coming in for the next five weeks. I can't believe that this is my career! Good thing that I didn't listen to those teachers in high school.

Stay happy, Husum!

Joel

Archives

April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   March 2007   April 2007   May 2007   June 2007   July 2007   August 2007   September 2007   October 2007   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   December 2008   January 2009   February 2009   March 2009   April 2009   May 2009   June 2009   August 2009   October 2009  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Contact Us  |  Site Map

  Site by Locus